Latest News

Ayiti Cherie (My beloved Haiti)

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 , Posted by Ladychelle.com at 11:21 AM


Poem Dedicated to the Earthquake of Jan. 12th..



At a time like this, a spotlight has been shed on Haiti. A spotlight so bright, they can’t help but to point out the negatives and the poverty. But even though a poor nation, Haitians are rich in love, rich in family, rich in unity and rich in life.
Growing up in Haiti, I didn’t feel poor; I didn’t feel bad for my country. I had a great childhood.
I have great memories of swimming in the bluest of waters, picking fresh fruits from the trees, and hanging out late nights with friends and neighbors, adults and kids, alike, telling jokes. All of which starting with the required KRIK? to which the audience would yell back KRAK!
I have great memories of playing soccer with homemade balls made with plastic bags stuffed with clothes and toys and tied up with strings.
I have great memories of nightly lessons where my grandma would sit all the girls down and teach us how to be ladies, how to be wives, how to be mothers.
But my greatest memory of Haiti is also my greatest source of pride. Every year, from January to April, we would take the time to work on homemade flags then on May 18th, all the children, dressed in their Sunday best, would line up and march to the Presidential Palace singing our song and waiving our flags!
And speaking of our flag, our motto, written on the crest, is “L’union Fait La Force” (Strength in Unity). As a people, we take these words to heart. My family is Your family. I can run into any Haitian, on any street, in any country, and although a stranger, they will treat me as their own.
As a people, Haitians are born to lose but built to win. We’re made for war but are a people of peace. We love America, but Adore Haiti. Ayiti Cheri, she’s our first love.

Currently have 0 comments:

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment